Adobe Fireworks, shortened to Fw is a computer program developed by Adobe Systems, and previously Macromedia. It is primarily an image editor, though it posses other abilities, such as web page design. It is part of Adobe's Creative Suite programs, along with Photoshop, Illustrator, and others.
The most recent version of Fireworks is CS5, released on April 30, 2010.
ToolbarFireworks's toolbar is similar in design to many of Adobe's other image editing programs, both in design and in many features.
- Pointer Tool/Select Behind Tool
- Subselection Tool
- Scale Tool/ Skew Tool/ Distort Tool/ 9-slice scaling tool
- Crop Tool/ Export Area Tool
- Marquee Tool/ Oval Marquee Tool
- Lasso Tool/ Polygon Lasso Tool
- Magic Wand Tool
- Brush Tool
- Pencil Tool
- Eraser Tool
- Blur Tool/ Sharpen Tool/ Dodge Tool/ Burn Tool / Smudge Tool
- Rubber Stamp Tool/ Replace Color Tool/ Red Eye Removal
- Line Tool
- Pen Tool/ Vector Path Tool/ Redraw Path Tool
- Vector Shapes
- Text Tool
- Freeform Tool/ Reshape Area Tool/ Path-Scrubber Tool (Additive and Subtractive)
- Knife Tool
- Hotspot Tool (Rectangular, Oval, Polygon)
- Slice Tool (Rectangular, Polygon)
- Show/Hide Slices and Hotspots
- Eyedropper Tool
- Paint Bucket Tool
- Stroke/Fill Color
- Set Default Stroke and Fill
- No Stroke or Fill
- Swap Stroke and Fill
- Standard/ Full Screen with menus/ Full Screen
- Hand Tool
- Zoom Tool
Filters and Styles
Fireworks, like Photoshop, has a library of filters and styles to use on an image. In addition to having its own filters, Fireworks can also use a set of Photoshop filters, called Photoshop Live Effects. Fireworks's filters are grouped into seven categories: Adjust Color, Bevel and Emboss, Blur, Noise, Other, Shadow and Glow, and Sharpen. Each of these generally has about three filters in it, though some have more or less.
Fireworks also has large amount of styles available to format vector objects and text. The vector object styles are grouped into Wood, Diagonals, Old Paper, Pastels, Plastic, Tool Tips, Chrome, Dark Chrome, and Form Input styles. The text styles are grouped into Web, Corporate, and Creative styles. However, despite being grouped under the two headings, text styles can be applied to vector objects and vice versa.
Fireworks is capable of handling a large amount of file types. It works primarily in the Fireworks PNG type, which acts as a normal .png file in most image editors, but contains extra features in Fireworks, such as the ability to handle multiple layers and animation. Fireworks can also edit files designed for other Adobe programs, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash files.