You can help us by changing it.
Zanpaku-to, as seen in Shadonix's Comics are weapons of those with high spiritual energy. Each Zanpaku-to is a embodiment of the wielder's soul and power, and are actually living beings which can only be seen by its wielder. The Zanpaku-to's name is the name of the spirit that empowers the sword. Zanpaku-to vary greatly in appearance and ability, based on the qualities of their wielder's soul.
Obtaining a Zanpaku-To
The wielder of a Zanpaku-to has a deep connection with the Zanpaku-to's spirit. However, when one first obtains a Zanpaku-to, the the wielder is unable to fully hear the spirit. It is common for the introduction of the two to take place while the wielder sleeps.
When someone obtains a Zanpaku-to, they learn its name and become able to "activate" it. This activated ability is called the Shikai, the first of two levels of activation. When a Zanpaku-to is changed into its Shikai form, what is actually being seen is the true form of the weapon.
Depending upon the wielder's ability to communicate with and control their Zanpaku-to's spirit, a Zanpaku-to can manifest itself in two additional forms and revert to a sealed state. These two forms, Shikai and Bankai, are "upgrades" for the Zanpaku-to, giving it abilities beyond that of a sword. People usually carry their Zanpaku-to in the sealed state and activate the released forms as necessary.
There are several types of Zanpaku-to, classified by the main effect of their special abilities. These types include:
- Melee-Type: based around direct melee combat.
- Kido-Type: based around special abilities.
- Projectile-Type: when released becomes a projectile that the owner can control freely.
- Defense-Type: based around defensive techniques rather than offensive ones.
- Poison-Type: designed to generate and administer poison as a form of attack.
- Illusion-Type: designed around the ability to generate and manipulate perceptions via illusions.
Many Zanpaku-to are classified by elements, generally using their elements as forms of attack. Elemental Zanpaku-to are all Kido-syb-type with an element base.
- Fire: generate and manipulate fire for various forms of attack or defense.
- Ice: generate water and manipulate it into ice (and related effects) for various forms of attack or defense.
- Earth: manipulate the ground for various forms of attack or defense.
- Wind: manipulate wind for various forms of attack or defense.
- Water: to generate and manipulate water (and related effects) for various forms of attack or defense.
- Plant: generate and manipulate plants for various forms of attack or defense.
- Light: to generate and manipulate light for various forms of effects.
- Electricity: generate and manipulate electricity (and related effects) as a form of attack.
- Zanpaku-to regenerate when damaged.
- The size of a Zanpaku-to is a reflection of the wielder's spiritual power.
- Every Zanpaku-to has its own name.